captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingBMW View Post
My understanding (not an engineer nor even close) is the ZF8 uses the torque converter from a stop and de facto a DCT in operation for changes after that.

There Is a clutch operating anyway.

What's interesting is the new second gen ZF8 opens the clutch during décélération to lower torque and I suppose save gas and wear.

Senna did this bit I think the going logic is most like the car in gear during deceleration

The torque converter on the ZF 8 Speed is locked up once the car is in motion. It is, however, a planetary gear transmission and the technology doing the shifts is quite different than a DCT. Both The ZF 8 Speed and the DCT are capable of very fast and very smooth shifts.

From what I found by Googling the ZF 8 speed shifts gears an about 200 milliseconds while the DCT shifts gears in about 100 milliseconds. When comparing these shift speeds keep in mind that the blink of an eye is about 300 milliseconds.

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England

Last edited by captainaudio; 01-14-2019 at 04:45 PM..
Appreciate 1
SD ///M42992.00