Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
F90 M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
I thought that was only an issue with the M5? I wonder if you can launch it with DSC off without worrying about that limit becuase in my experience you launch better that way.
What do you mean? The 8 speed auto box that's going in the G8X will be fundamentally the same ones from the M5/M8/X5M/X6M etc. And from the LC limit thread on the F90 forum we already have M8 owners running into the same LC limit. So why would this just be a M5 issue? And you need to have DSC off to activate launch control anyways. The car will automatically short shift if it feels that it doesn't have enough traction.
Basically, the launch control shifts are different from the normal shifts (S1-S3). LC shifts aren't crisp (no exhaust crackle on the upshift, and instead the gearbox tries to "blend" the gears together and you feel the gearbox "slingshot" you forward with every gear change). After the ~100 LC limit, the gearbox will intentionally stop this shifting strategy in order to "preserve" its lifespan and during LC you will get the normal S3 shifts from that point onwards. The controversy exists because BMW does not explicitly state this limit even though it exists.

https://f90.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1798332

Don't know if the DCT in the F8X has a similar LC limit. If it doesn't, then that would be probably one of the only big areas where the DCT is better than the auto.
Appreciate 1
wesleyan921343.00