View Single Post
      12-02-2019, 09:59 AM   #231
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbar View Post
I think the best solution to this problem is for BMW to make a more expensive variant of the 3 series than the M. With a bigly, shinier, blingier badge. Probably made of 24ct rose gold.

That way the people who just want the 'fullest loadedest' version of the car can donate their cash to BMW and subsidize those of us who actually want a drivers car.

To be honest, I'm sort of astonished at the people, even on this forum, who buy an M-variant car and then spend time complaining it isn't soft/luxurious enough for them and shilling for BMW as they gradually try to make the car more mass-market. Or who personally choose a 335 auto and then post saying that there's no reason for the M3 to have anything better.

M cars were once a pretty unique proposition (and the M-DCT was clear evidence of that) - in 2 years time there will be no difference from an Audi or Merc.
If the DCT is removed from the M2 as well I suspect it’s neither cost cutting or spa moms that drive the change but the same reason as for all other drivers car aspect removed so far ( NA high revving engines, HPS ) I.e. fuel efficiency. The DCT is a thirsty toy, 7 speed with rather low gearing at the top gear. Maybe the MT is partly to blame, the DCT was sacrificed to get an acceptable G8X mpg average...
Appreciate 0