View Single Post
      11-29-2019, 03:10 AM   #184
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgmt View Post
This is precisely the reason I picked this car over the better sounding better interior C63.

I've never driven a ZF gearbox I liked. They always lag on the paddles.

There is a very good reason almost all Supercars have a DCT.

There is also a very good reason AMG has stuck with a DCT in the A45. The gearbox has to match the character of the car. While it makes sense in an M5 it detracts from the whole dynamic package that an M3 should be.
With the M2 now firmly and successfully incorporated into the M lineup I think us old geysers who were there at the start need to let go of the M3 character as it was conceived and think of it more as a car covering the right edge of the classic M3 character to the left edge of the M5 on a track car scale. The sweet spot of the original M3 is now M2 territory and the M3/M4 is now a trackable GT car instead of a street legal track car.

Is the latest ZF8 a step to far right on the scale? Hard to argue when an MT is available in the M3 and the M2 still offer the DCT. If BMW replace the DCT in the M2 with a ZF8 I can without reservations join the outrage. A ZF8 has no place in an M2, ever.

Last edited by solstice; 11-29-2019 at 03:19 AM..
Appreciate 0