View Single Post
      07-02-2022, 03:12 PM   #1
Asymmetrick
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: M4/G82 CSL

Shadowline features of the G80/G82: The differences made by codes 760, 7M9 & 3MF

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hello all,
Just been through the entire process of designing, ordering, and agonizing over delivery of my new G80 M3. One thing I obsessed over during the design/ordering phase was the nature of the changes caused by the various Shadowline options. IMO, these are some of the least well-explained options for the G80/G82 and BMW configurators do not do justice to these options. Also, I couldn’t find a thread on BimmerPost where this issue was addressed extensively, so I thought I would share below what I found out on this topic. I hope this is helpful to others who –like me– wonder if these options are worth it.

Shadowline Exterior Trim [code 760]:
  • Standard on G80 (non-removable, so not an option)
  • VIN decoding name: “Individual high-gloss satin chrome”. Could be a misnomer since it is not clear if all parts in the list below are made of actual chrome.
  • Following parts will be either high-gloss black or black chrome color:
  1. Window trims (i.e., window frames; window recess covers; B-pillar finishers; window guide rails; Hofmeister kink finishers; window triangles for front doors & associated mirror bases.)
  2. Side fender badge/vent trims
  3. Side skirt inserts
  4. Front splitter – corner pieces.
  5. Rear diffuser – corner pieces (aka “rear side diffusers”)
  6. Rear diffuser – trim (i.e., insert surrounding main diffuser)
  7. Rear diffuser – main part

Extended Shadowline Exterior Trim [code 7M9]:
  • Standard on G80/G82 cars in Canada/US (can be deleted at no charge)
  • VIN decoding name: “Ind.high-gloss Sa.ch.l.w.ext.con” (full name: Individual high-gloss satin chrome line with extended contents. Note that Satin Chrome is BMW-speak for black colored chrome.)
  • The first two items on the list below will be changed to carbon fiber parts if selecting the M Carbon Exterior Package [code 71C].
  1. Black mirror caps (note: top portion only. If option is deleted/not selected, cap color will match the car body color)
  2. Black rear spoiler (note: if option is deleted/not selected, spoiler color will match the car body color)
  3. Black chrome exhaust tips (note: tips will be silver-looking chrome if option is deleted/not selected)

M Lights Shadowline [code 3MF]:
  • Base spec for G80/G82 cars in Canada/US: LED headlights without Shadowline.
  • VIN decoding name (when adding Shadowline headlights to your build): “BMW Individual Lights Shadow Line”
  • M Lights Shadowline option can be implemented with both headlight choices on the G80/G82 (i.e., standard LED or optional Laser lights).
  • Appearance of M Lights Shadowline differs markedly when adding “Laser lights” to your build or keeping standard “LED lights”, leading to much confusion about this option. IMO, the option is much more noticeable when implemented in the LED headlights. Change is more modest for laser lights.
  • Below are descriptions of the two different implementations of that option:
  1. For the LED lights option: A V-shaped inlay piece in the light housing will be colored in black (part remains silver-colored if option is not selected). Specifically, the Shadowline inlay trim looks like a V on its side (< or >) with a much longer top branch.

OR

2. For the Laserlight option: A single, mostly linear piece of metal in the top of the light housing will be colored in black if Shadowline is selected (part remains silver-colored if option is not selected). Specifically, the Shadowline part corresponds to the top eyebrow portion of the lights that runs parallel to the hood line.

Below are images of the 4 possible configurations (with and without orange highlights) to clarify which parts are affected by the M Lights Shadowline modifications.

Last edited by Asymmetrick; 07-03-2022 at 03:23 PM..
Appreciate 14
kooft168.50
yousefnjr6154.50
rush111298.50
TheFactor112.00
modeno85.00
3some!15.00
zab31.00
m3less130.00
Limegrntaln13397.00
tatarwj378.00