View Single Post
      07-27-2023, 08:57 PM   #336
techwhiz1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335, E70 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
I made a statement that an EV M3 would no longer be a capable track vehicle and it would essential change the idea of what an M3 from a track capable showroom car to a virtue signaling status symbol. Maybe BMW has some secret tech that will change that? I am doubtful, but would love to see it happen.

techwhiz1 told me that since hardly anyone tracks the M3 that doesn't matter anymore.

I am making the case that not only do people track the M3 but it's important to have a factory car that can be used to turned into race cars, HPDE cars etc. It's a very important part of BMW culture when it comes to Schools, Club Racing, Factory racing. BMW is one of the few manufactures that supports motorsports at a grass roots level with all their programs around the BMWCCA.

It's not just about what a bunch of non drivers plunk down at the dealership(even if you feel that is the majority, which I haven't see any hard data around), but there are actual drivers out there that would really lose out if we got stuck with some EV that can't perform as well as the traditional M cars going around a road or autocross.
I don't think there is a lot to worry about since battery technology is nowhere near to the point where we can shave 600lbs off an i4.

Until battery tech improves ICE will exist.
ICE will exist because all markets aren't demanding EV and can't even support the infrastructure for BEV.

That being said weight has to drop and in dropping weight, range improves. Also cooling of the batteries and motors will need to be more aggressive.

Also BMW will face the issues that Porsche, Mercedes and other will face and they will all need to figure it out. BMW is not in a vacuum.