United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EatThatLunchBaby View Post
Here in MN we have some winter performance driving days and those have been a blast! I do feel like it’s a very controllable car at the limit. It’s just a problem for my wife and kids when the limit in normal conditions is well above 100mph 🤣
Plenty of track events up in Brainerd and Road America this year.

DCTC course layouts are meant to keep speeds low as their unofficial limit is 55 MPH. Powerful cars can get close to or a little bit over 100 MPH, but pretty far from the car's limit. It's only a taste of you'd get at a full course, which is a much more enjoyable experience.

As for the F8x on track, I've seen the newer drivers struggle to deal with the power it makes at the lower end of the RPMs. On a rainy session, there was one behind me that kept seeing going sideways out of corners and even in a straight line. I thought it couldn't have been fun and it must not have been as the driver looked pretty frustrated it the paddock. More experienced drivers seem to enjoy the car better once they've learned how to manage the power.

Remember all those videos of F8xs crashing after flooring it from a stop or low speed because their "tires were a few PSI off" is actually due to them not managing the low end power.

The G8xs have similar power levels but it seems our engines were tuned to provide perhaps less torque in the lower RPMs and a more linear power band making it easier to drive.

The other with the F8x on track seems to be fuel starvation in some cases so some choose to run with the fuel tank above half full. I'll deal with the windows rolling up under heavy braking over fuel starvation any day.