View Single Post
      10-30-2021, 07:20 AM   #26
synchronicityii
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 xDrive45e M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Even here in California, charging infrastructure is a joke. You'll see a handful of Tesla chargers are some grocery stores that's it. I'm sure Electrify America chargers exist, but I have yet to spot one in the wild. In its current state, all this legislation to ban ICE is clearly far-fetched and not feasible.
There are currently 247 Supercharger stations operational in California. I don't know the precise number of stalls, but randomly selecting 100 of the stations and doing a manual count gets to an average of 13.4 stalls/per station, implying a total count of 3,310 stalls in the state.

Keep in mind that as currently designed, the major goal of the Supercharger network is, in Tesla's words, to "keep you charged when you're away from home". With that in mind, to talk about Superchargers (or the lack thereof) at grocery stores is to miss the point, which is to allow drivers to charge in cases where the out-and-back driving distance is greater than the practical range of the car.

Per the 2018 National Household Travel Survey, only 4.9% of vehicle trips are longer than 30 miles. So for people who can charge up at their residence, and always leave the house fully charged, Tesla's Supercharger network strategy makes sense. As a current Model Y owner, it was a huge selling point for me.

Now, if you want to have a discussion about charging infrastructure for non-homeowners, or why the major legacy auto manufacturers seem content to allow third parties to build out charging networks—despite having seen Tesla's success in building its own—that's another matter.
Appreciate 0