03-06-2024, 08:56 AM   #12
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
You're never required to put any money down on any lease or finance, so that shouldn't be a factor.

I think, personally, you always end up paying more on a lease. In 3 years, the car market won't have wildly destroyed itself so much that the value in your car will tank further than if you had just financed and traded in after 3 years. We may see situations like COVID where the values all skyrocketed because of supply, but I don't think the opposite is true. Even during the 2008 recession, people were still buying cars, just smaller ones. Worst case, you could always wait it out a bit and sell later.
Keep in mind it's not so much the car market 3 years from now which will dictate if your lease would have cost more vs. financing it. It's at the front end where that's determined. Sometimes there's lease based incentives that drive the price down well below what you'd have gotten with a financed car, plus lease support in the form of inflated residuals (BMW did this often in the past to incentivize leasing).

That being said, I don't think leasing is currently very attractive - albeit I haven't been in the market recently.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 0