08-26-2022, 04:15 PM   #3
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWriter View Post
Wait, this was still a free UDE event that also incorporated track time in M cars? I've been to several UDE's and have never seen that; normally you need to pony up for one of the M schools for that perk.
That's probably why they didn't advertise it on the main UDE page I was shocked as well as I've NEVER gotten this opportunity to drive M cars at a UDE, much less at the actual track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWriter View Post
I actually was a little less impressed with the 8AT on the track. Shifts are quick and crisp, but during tricky transitions it was sometimes slow to downshift. (I recall Randy Pobst made some similar remarks, though he loved the chassis otherwise.) I had my hands full with steering and thinking about other aspects of the track, but if I were tracking an M3C regularly, I'd probably go for full manual mode with the paddles. Like you, though, I oped to #savethemanuals
I do remember Randy Pobst having issue with it and actually achieving a quicker lap time in the 6MT. I just attributed that to him being a phenomenal driver. Truthfully in comparison to other torque converter autos I've driven I felt this one was one of the best. But I do agree it's slow to downshift in some instances, but so are most automatics. I did a couple laps in full auto and a few laps with paddle shifters and the paddle shifters definitely mitigated some of that issue.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 0