View Single Post
      08-26-2022, 03:41 PM   #2
NightWriter
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Pure

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
The event in Joliet on the other hand, aside from featuring those two activities, gave us an extra treat of some lead/follow track time in an M3/M4/M8.
Wait, this was still a free UDE event that also incorporated track time in M cars? I've been to several UDE's and have never seen that; normally you need to pony up for one of the M schools for that perk.

Quote:
Our group went towards the i4 autocross session first. I've test driven the i4 at a dealer before so I was somewhat familiar with what it can do. It's an impressive car - but I'm still having trouble getting over the EV side of it. It's so fast but so unengaged.
I had a similar reaction. Impressive, smooth, fast, and pretty nimble for a 2.5 ton car -- especially with the 20" wheels/performance tires; much better than the 19's -- but it's no M.

Quote:
The 8spd auto comes alive on the track. So much so that the guy sitting with me who tracks his mini on a monthly basis thought it was a DCT. I have noticed instances on the road where it hunts for gears a bit... but WOT on the track, the 8spd auto is a gem. Despite that, I'm still glad I have a 6MT on order... especially since I won't be tracking..
I actually was a little less impressed with the 8AT on the track. Shifts are quick and crisp, but during tricky transitions it was sometimes slow to downshift. (I recall Randy Pobst made some similar remarks, though he loved the chassis otherwise.) I had my hands full with steering and thinking about other aspects of the track, but if I were tracking an M3C regularly, I'd probably go for full manual mode with the paddles. Like you, though, I oped to #savethemanuals

Thanks for sharing.