View Single Post
      01-24-2021, 08:26 AM   #67
SickGTR
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1000whpGTR/ F-82 YAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurns View Post
I have never owned an AWD vehicle so I am not qualified at all to present any opinions for or against. However, I have heard many favorable opinions about it. Coincidently, just the other day I took my girlfriends car to the garage for tire rotation and balance. Another customer, who drove an AWD car, had a flat tire due to road debris. The tech told her that since the vehicle was AWD the 3 remaining tires needed to be replaced. The tread life on the other tires were above the min’s ( estimated 5 to 7/32’s). I asked the tech why the replacement requirement. He stated that given the tread difference between the old tires and new one the AWD system would not perform correctly and over time would adversely affect the functioning of the system which will also lead to very costly repairs. Again, not knowing much about the AWD system I found this info very interesting. Is this true or false? I do recognize if this situation existed on a RWD car there will be some handling differences but it would not necessarily adversely affect the [long term] driveability of the car (non-track situations).
Yes, this is true. Not sure of the exact diff before you would have issues, but they need to be the same!!!!
Appreciate 1
EXE462100.00