12-04-2020, 01:09 PM   #66
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
The 1M had its detractors when it came out, including myself. It wasn't a "real" M car, it looked like a distended cat dragging it's belly around etc... time has very kind to the 1M and it's a great car, but there is a lot of nostalgia there as well for the way cars used to drive before all the regulations and marketing started to cloud the waters. The M2 pretty much trounces the 1M in all aspects of performance driving save for the aforementioned driver experience. Maybe I am biased but I feel like the G8X is the first real step back in too many significant ways compared to its predecessor. I mean, every generation gets faster and bigger and heavier, but even the F8X and E92 I felt were at the limits of weight and size. At least the F8X trimmed the fat, but the G8X went up in both.

I think history will be kind to the M2 and F8X... unless BMW does some major soul searching, these will be the last of the traditional driver's M cars.
I think so too. I’ve owned or driven all the M3 generations to date, and other M cars. For my special purpose which is a dual capability street/track car, the F80 best so far. Actually a bit less comfortable/civilized on the street than the E90 (stiffer bushings) but more capable on track, more “Motorsport”-y feeling, and I like that just fine.

Although I have to admit I drove the M2CS and thought it was an incredible package. If it weren’t so darn expensive and hard to find I’d probably switch.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0