Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIERsr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
They probably will magically be able to fit carbon driveshaft if they are going to utilize the CSL moniker; how else are they suppose to reduce weight and make it feel more free-revving.

Custom carbon driveshafts at the local level goes for about 2 to $3,000 and is paperweight in comparison to steel.

Deducing from that, I'm convinced that in the case with the G8X, there was some number crunching and the bean-counters triumphed over the engineers, so then steel was ultimately settled on. If they can save like say $500 per vehicle, it adds up.

I'm not upset, I just don't appreciate my intelligence being insulted but either way, I still want one but the truth would of been divine.
This has been explained quite well. There is no room on the G8x to fit a DS larger than 50mm - compared to 90mm (before OPF) and 70mm (after OPF) on the F8x - and with this diameter the CFRP would offer no weight savings because it would have to be built very thick to provide the right strength and resistance.
They can engineer a car from the ground up, the size of an old M5, that could probably fit the entire Noah's Ark but they can't design a work-around in a few inches in diameter. Sorry, I'm just not buying it.

It doesn't matter anyway, a carbon driveshaft was an exotic option and it was frankly a gift they added it to the previous model but steel is denser and cheaper but adds unsprung weight, the worst of all weights.

Like I said, I'm not mad at them, do your thing BMW AG, I'll still give them my money and I don't believe it's a conspiracy; like everything else, it came down to money. It's all good.
Appreciate 0