Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortexiphan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by blefevre View Post
Respectfully disagree. This car is in fact closer to the competition now. Gone is the focus on low-ish weight, weight distribution, DCT uniqueness, high RPM redline.
It still has the perfect weight distribution, it's the lightest in its class, and it has 7200 rpm redline which is the highest among competition as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blefevre View Post
Besides styling what really differentiates this from a RS5, C63, etc? Or hell, even the performance cross overs?.... they would have also put emphasis on differentiating the actual driving experience and not just the styling. It's fine if this is appealing to people who put their #1 priority on different styling, I just need to accept that I am no longer in BMWs target market.
It's fashionable to create arguments on made-up facts these days. Who said they're not focusing on driving experience? Even before driving it, pretty much everybody already know that this car will be the best in terms of handling, performance, lower weight, driving experience, and it has the best mass production 6 pot engine on the planet. The design is great, but it's nowhere near the most significant differentiation from competition. It's just the most visible at first glance. I mean you even put RS5 there... I hope you're kidding. You can open the hood and see the engine placement, I don't think you would need any further proof on how different these cars are.
Yeah, well tell that to every Turbo S owner that switched to a GT3. It may be better than everything on paper, but if the car doesn't invoke an emotion in you when driving it, then the driving experience 100% is subpar.

I don't have to drive this to know that the F80 (which I don't have anymore) will fee more raw (though I will still test drive it because why not). I don't care how impressive the numbers are, you cannot get around physics and 300-400 lbs more does not a better car make. I 100% expect this to feel as numb as the new M5 does compared to the E39, or hell even the F10.

Will it be capable? Hell yes. Will it be more capable then the F generation? Absolutely. Will it feel like a numb bloated shitbox (albeit fast shitbox) like an RS5 and and C63 do? I'm willing to bet good money it will.

I guess what I'm saying is that I didn't want another bloated GT wanna be car. I wanted something more akin to the spirit of my M2C (which is what I replaced my F80 with), but that ship has sailed for BMW and nearly every other manufacturer. I get it, and I accept it, doesn't mean I have to like it.

But, you know, opinions....
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 4
CanAutM321130.50
6ixSpd6033.00
pbar1400.00