View Single Post
      04-13-2021, 02:25 AM   #39
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takumi587 View Post
I had an F80 M3 and now an M340i. I can already imagine based on driving the M340i that the new G80 M3 will be a huge upgrade from the F80. I went from SMG to DCT and now to ZF. The ZF is amazing but I'm considering the manual transmission for G80 M3 due to the reviews saying the gear changes are more crisp. The rev matching is also a cool feature which I would assume is just as great as a Porsche Cayman GTS.

I'll be honest I don't miss the F80 M3 at all. Maybe the sound and looks but that's it. If engine stats are the same then the infotainment and interior are worth the upgrade IMO.
First of all, no offense, but you will not want to jump into conclusion as to G80 vs G20 vs F80. Each of them shines in the different area, not necessarily the area you value. Please don't imagine. Test.

I totally relate to the sentiment that you have no regrets at all going from the F80 to G20 with the B58.

The B58 is such a great or should I say mighty powerful engine from a practical standpoint. It has this almost electric car matching instant grunt at tap everywhere, or maybe a little bit lacking at top end due to turbo sizing and factory power rating. The S55 is pretty close in this regard but is slightly towards the high rev. I've been commuting, tuning and also HDPE these cars for years and can't know them better.

The S58, on the contrary, is a bit tame with its in-proportionally sized big turbo. The most, including Joe, the author of this video and an owner of the new M3, acknowledge the urgency and responsiveness of the B58 at low and middle range over the laggy S58. He even had a video showing exactly how the S58 is slower compared to the B58 in the form of X3MC vs X3 M40i via an instrument in gear acceleration test where the B58 destroy the S58 by a huge margin.

I personally did drag race and drifting course on the S58 (X3MC) and will confirm what I am stating. It's absolutely impossible to properly appreciate the new M3 without pushing it at B road, highway, or the road course. The journalist so far mostly blame the ZF8 for the sluggishness (relatively speaking), which is very incorrect. How many insanely quick and fast cars out there are using the ZF8? Guess what they have in common? A great motor.

BTW, I already posted this G82 vs F82 comparison video a few days ago (beat the OP to it) but my thread got deleted by mods maybe because I just presented bloody truth rather than gush over the baby new car like the journalists and other forum enthusiasts do. Fine, take my opinion as you will
seccsc239.00
CSBM52756.00