View Single Post
      01-20-2021, 01:53 PM   #18
josehb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3C Tanzanite Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
To be fair, you wouldn't have leased anything for 10+ years. Leases are typically 3 years long. So within that time span you would have had 3 brand new cars compared to your 1 car.

Nobody is arguing that long term cost of ownership is justified through lease (and if they are, they don't know how this works). To get a true apples to apples comparison, try buying a new 5 series every 3 years and reselling it... and compare that to leasing a new one every 3 years. In MOST situations, your cost of ownership of leasing will be significantly lower (as long as BMW continues offering strong lease support), not to mention the offset of risk.

What would have happened to your resale value within that time period if you got into an accident? With a lease, your residual is set in stone, accident or not. Same goes for catastrophic maintenance issues. Just because you didn't experience that doesn't mean they don't happen.

I'm not arguing for one method or the other, but your example is unfairly comparing cost of ownership. Ultimately the lease vs. buy decision depends on many factors - personal situation/preferences, the type of car (some cars don't depreciate as quickly and even short term ownership favors purchasing rather than leasing), etc.

With the G80, it's too new to truly understand what resale value will be after 3 years. And if OP has a habit of changing cars frequently, then leasing may be the way to go, at least initially, to hedge against a potentially bad resale value if take rates for these cars is low. Only time will tell.
I like the point you make in regards to the 3 year lease vs 3 year buying and selling but for the most cases if you buy is to keep it for at least 5 years where it becomes more desirable to buy. Another case is if you only put about 3 thousand miles a year on the car because a car with 9 k miles will loose much less value compare with the typical depreciation so in this case is better to buy and then sell after 3 years and and I do know a few retired people who do this which is crazy.
Appreciate 0