View Single Post
      07-16-2021, 10:58 AM   #9
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 230 2020 vert F23

I'm not sure how this effects everyone ?

Both in the UK and in Canada I have found you can always barter the cost, true that some and mainly shopfronts will maybe throw in some parts, or give you a discount or something, but no tax taken off.

But almost EVERY (building) contractor either my wife has engaged or I dealt with in the UK, will do a cash price, will give a receipt and a written guarantee.

That is the rule and not the exception, only one contractor said they couldn't do a cash only.

In my dealings I haven't found cash only vendors to be dishonest or bad, in fact a vendor who DID charge tax, majorly screwed up a $25k basement project.

I used to be a Mobile DJ in the UK, and I did not do enough gigs to pay tax, even here I set up a company, but the amount of gig's I did was not worth being a sole proprietor or limited company. As such I did not charge any taxes.

When I was a freelance mobile DJ, the guy's who booked me I don't know if they charged tax or not, but when I went out as a paid employee I did the best job I could.

I think it's a stretch saying people who don't charge tax are crooked. As I said the majority if not all shopfronts ALWAYS charge tax and they are some of the worst people to deal with in some cases. And the majority of contractors/self-employed will give you the option of not paying tax and "some" are good.

I appreciate your post but it doesn't really help me from a technical perspective.

people who we've dealt with who've done tax free work (and been ok)

1> Car mechanics (uk and canada, at least 4 companies/individuals)
2> Car detailer (here in canada)
3> 2 electrician's (companies)
4> 2 building contractors
5> Numerous at least 10 quotes from contractors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Our03z4 View Post
Neither. Anyone who says we can save you on the tax if you pay cash is crooked. I run two companies myself and hate when people ask for a discount for paying cash. I claim every dollar. The second you start ripping someone off (even the Gov) that tells me all I need to know about the person or company. I have clients who own companies that "need" to make cash disappear and I'll gladly take their cash but they know they are getting an invoice marked paid and paying sales tax.

Sorry for the rant but this is a huge issue that affects everyone more than they know. You never "save" on tax in the end.
Appreciate 0