07-15-2021, 09:01 AM   #7
RelaxIN2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW M3 E93

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
My video system uses a re-branded Dahua NVR and cameras. The most important feature when dealing with more than two higher-resolution IP cameras is H.265 compression, which seems to be Dahua's niche.

I have four cameras outside to watch for deer/bears, one in the basement to watch for broken pipes and floods, and a PTZ one in a central part of the house that can see multiple rooms when we're not home.

I'm in the process of upgrading from an 8-camera 4-series NVR to a 16-camera 5-series. The 4-series only has a 100Mbps ethernet port, which is inadequate for a lot of 8MP cameras even with H.265 compression. Can't say that I'm a fan of the klunky web/app support or the choice of only using a USB mouse (with no keyboard support) to use the NVR with an HDMI monitor, but it works for the price and was easy enough to self-install as someone with a 40-year IT/networking background.

FWIW, a video export from one of my outdoor 8MP cameras went to our local police and the DA's office last month, as evidence in a possible homicide case. I also showed the video on my computer to three State Police detectives, and they remarked that it was the clearest footage that they have ever seen from a home video system.....
I'm right there with you with over 30+ years IT/Network background. I setup and ran my own system as well. I have also setup about a dozen or so small business as well.

There was two incidents... I upgraded a system in a small construction company afterhours (in the early AM) for about 3 days, but I left the existing camera there as decoys. One of the guys was caught on video, supposedly, accidently bumping a video camera while moving some 2x4's.. .as it turns out, it was one of the decoy camera's that he hit... he didn't know that other cameras were installed and actually show's him looking up at the decoy camera to make sure it was out of view... and him stealing a generator..

Another incident was a restaurant that was broken into. They went into the back room and cut all of the cables and stole the DVR that I purposely left plugged in and put a label on saying "Security System, Do not touch"... The real one was above the ceiling tiles out of view.

I personally have a Hikvision bullet and Mini PTZ camera around my house. I run a dual system with an 8 port NVR that runs off of motion... and a custom built NVR running BlueIris that runs all of the other camera's. Two years ago my idiot neighbor though he was being funny and drove his car up my pristine lawn. I gave him two opportunities to admit what he had done... he told me he had no idea what I was talking about. I called the police, showed them the video, and to your point... he laughed and said.. that's clear as day. They arrested him on a few accounts and he had to pay $1000 in damages.. He then tried to file a complaint with the police stating that my security camera's invaded his privacy...LOL. The judge actually said to him... No, I looked at the video, it doesn't violate anything, you're just mad because you got caught...

Anyway... what I'm trying to say is... either design a good system yourself, or be a part of the design. Good Luck..!
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615271.00