vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by translux View Post
I like the Dahua products. Especially the cameras with Starlight and integrated microphones. Like this https://us.dahuasecurity.com/?produc...dcvi-eyeball-2
My video system uses a re-branded Dahua NVR and cameras. The most important feature when dealing with more than two higher-resolution IP cameras is H.265 compression, which seems to be Dahua's niche.

I have four cameras outside to watch for deer/bears, one in the basement to watch for broken pipes and floods, and a PTZ one in a central part of the house that can see multiple rooms when we're not home.

I'm in the process of upgrading from an 8-camera 4-series NVR to a 16-camera 5-series. The 4-series only has a 100Mbps ethernet port, which is inadequate for a lot of 8MP cameras even with H.265 compression. Can't say that I'm a fan of the klunky web/app support or the choice of only using a USB mouse (with no keyboard support) to use the NVR with an HDMI monitor, but it works for the price and was easy enough to self-install as someone with a 40-year IT/networking background.

FWIW, a video export from one of my outdoor 8MP cameras went to our local police and the DA's office last month, as evidence in a possible homicide case. I also showed the video on my computer to three State Police detectives, and they remarked that it was the clearest footage that they have ever seen from a home video system.....