Garage List
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
2018 Porsche Macan  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///AVM View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave12285 View Post
Now that you seemed to have a new opinion with the more aggressive transmission setting, would you mind expounding upon the ZF8 vs the DCT? Is it close enough to be acceptable? What's the delay like on redline shifts in S3 mode? Thank you.
Dave

In brief, yes, I find the ZF8 S3 setting to be very acceptable and enjoyable. To expound . . .

As with the M2C itself - and using the words of others in this thread - DCT seems a little more 'raw' than ZF8 in manual mode shifts. For some, the refinement of the ZF8 shifts might actually come as a welcome change?

What is important to ME is:

(1) SPEED of the shifts. Any difference in speed between DCT and ZF8 in S3 is not within the threshold of my perception at this point.

(2) FEELING the shifts be laid down, which is why I always use the shifter and never the paddles. Do DCT shifts 'feel' better to me than ZF8 shifts? Honestly, maybe a little more 'torquey' and, thus, better . . . but I feel it is a matter of cutting hairs when it comes to significance.

The fact that the ZF8 comes equipped with a torque converter might have one anticipate that 'laying down torque' is compromised compared to DCT. Not only do I 'feel' the shifts in a fashion comparable to DCT, I find very little difficulty 'chirping' the tires going from 2nd to 3rd gears in MDM mode . . . indicating substantial torque finds its way to the rear axel.

As with shifts in general, the shifts at/near redline are vastly improved in S3 compared to S1 - as one would expect. . . small miracles

Finally, the one thing I previously mentioned and has not changed is I wish there was one less gear with the ZF8, as the lower gears are just a bit too short for my liking. That said, I will adjust and learn to accept over time. . . for reference, I am not part of the 'group think' crowd who feel lower gearing is too long in the Porsche MT offerings.

Hope that helps

///AVM
Been reading this thread intently. I think you have the most honest and detailed review of this new platform so far and I'm pretty sure our driving styles and the things we care about the "experience" are very similar.

So I find it very interesting to hear you've changed your perception on the ZF8 now that you've modified your settings.

I too came from an M2 with a DCT and the first thing that I noticed was how "boring" the shifts were in the G80 with the zf8 during my 2 hour test drive. I missed the tire chirping / head snapping violence of the DCT. You're saying in S3 you are close to replicating this now that you've become used to it?

That's very encouraging as I figured this would just be something I'd have to live with (but also appreciating the comfort mode so I don't send my wife and newborn bouncing off the seats). If you're able to recreate that aggressive feeling even somewhat I think I'm going to be very happy once mine arrives.
Appreciate 2
///AVM2529.50
ai38868.50