Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 G82 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///AVM View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der_Wolf View Post
Thanks! My m1 and m2 look similar, except I have DCT on in M1 and use D3. I want to become better with S3. I always feel like I am damaging the car when I downshift even though I am probably not. I've never driven a manual before though so I don't have the knowledge you have.
Wolf

Not sure what you are referencing in terms of 'DCT on' with M1? Perhaps you were trying to share that you have traction control fully engaged and erroneously typed 'DCT?'

I have spent much of my driving life with MT, so controlling shift points are a high priority for me when it comes to performance cars. Also important is the actual act of shifting and 'feeling' shifts, which is why I always use the shifter; never the paddles. Do not miss the clutch.

So, yes, my specific interest in PDK/DCT and now ZF8 stems from a MT history. I completely understand your comfort level, or lack thereof, with a constantly 'wrung out' engine.

However, I can assure you these engines were built for just that and, with time, your discomfort with the 'whine' will dissipate and morph into the sound of a beautiful symphony . . . not to mention the benefits of living in the heart of the torque/power band when it comes to performance/throttle responsiveness.

Do not be afraid to live above 4K RPM, and driving the RPMs up on downshifting. Aside from the wonderful 'whine' of the engine, this will give your brakes some extra life . . . and if taking my word for all of this is not enough, it is not possible to 'money shift' with the DCT/PDK/ZF8. There are safeguards in place.

Remember, there is no rule you ever have to use 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th gears . . . unless out on the highways, I certainly find very little need for them.

A lot of this pertains to my driving style and interests, and may not ever pertain to you to the extent it does me. That is cool. Whatever brings YOU driving enjoyment is all that counts . . . just be reassured that these cars are built to be pushed hard.

Best

///AVM
Thanks a lot for your write up! I appreciate your time and you have inspired me to not be so afraid of it.

You are right, I meant to write DSC instead of DCT*.

///M
Appreciate 1
///AVM2529.50