Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by trey100 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by trey100 View Post
All companies do this when they need to implement something that could be deemed unfavorable whether to their clients or employees. Rather than say "we are changing xyz" they set the table so that the change seems to happen either naturally or due to another reason - as long as they can have plausible deniability.

If M division wanted a manual, they would have spent the money upgrading the manual to withstand the torque. When they didn't do this, that is the tell that they want it gone. Now if they can use it with no additional headaches (like in the detuned G87 or base G80) then great. But their heart is clearly not in it.

All that being said (and I'm a manual guy) - isn't this far too big for a manual? I feel like at some point, it's just getting a manual to say you have a manual. The F80 is already pushing it.
I believe it is about compromise: offer a manual at the least possible cost. And it is way cheaper to tune the ECU for lower the power/torque output than it is to develop a beefier transmission.
I don't disagree that it's a compromise and I'll take the compromise but the point still remains - If BMW cared for manuals in their cars they'd improve the current unit or go to a vendor that has one. I'm sure the ZF isn't free, nor many other components. The transmission I imagine should rank pretty high in priorities for an M car. The take rate on M3s has always been high in the US and it's their 2nd strongest market for BMW and #1 for M cars. Those are numbers that make the choice to compromise suspect. Making it less available allows the self-fulfilling prophecy to happen.

I see this in business all the time. It's a back door way to make things happen and try to come out clean.
For that to be true you also have to believe the take rate for the manual would be higher if it had received more investment. I can't see any way that is true. The manual enthusiasts are going to buy it either way.

Some may be somewhat disappointed (and complain on message boards) they don't get the same power rating as the auto but if one loves 3 pedals I can't see trading over to auto just for a few more HP and tq.
Appreciate 2
solstice5459.00
2011ninja3412.50