Equilibrandt
Auto/DCT Zealot
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3, Miata

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooolone2 View Post
Sorry, but the manufacturer retaining rights of access to amenities and function, like Tesla... A BIG NO! I buy it, I chose the options I PAY for, they're then mine! Want a Tesla, go buy one!
Sorry, I don't get what you're trying to argue here. You buy a car new, you choose the options you want and buy the car. You buy a car used, you're stuck with the options the previous owner chose.

Playing devil's advocate here: With this system, you can buy a car used, and choose which options you wanted to pay for (billed as 1 year, 3 years, or lifetime if the previous owner didn't). Just like you said when you "chose your options you PAY for".

For the record, I think subscriptions in an auto-space is a horrible idea. Just trying to encourage conversation about the other side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
I think everyone is getting worked up because they read the work "subscription" without seeing what this means on certain models.
Rereading the article, I think you're right.

They'll build the 330i, 335i, and M340i the same, with all the packages included but disabled (other than engine changes). On the M340i, you'll have all the packages subscribed to for life, just like you do on a 2022 M340i right now. On the 330i, you'll have no packages; to keep the cost down, you can pick and choose. Gets rid of the 'have to find the perfect 330i' issue I'm sure many base-level BMW owners struggle with.