11-14-2021, 11:16 PM   #10
GearRex
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, E46 ZHP, 991.2 Cabrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt123 View Post
I am a bmw tech, the oil change interval should not be reset. The 1200 mile service should be reset through the ISTA program and that is all. If the oil service is also reset, the service counter also goes up which is the number of oil changes done on the car. This is a number read out through the key and determines what is due with the next oil change. Most M cars get spark plugs on the third oil change and resetting the counter at the 1200 mile service would cause the plugs to be due at 20,000 miles/2nd oil change and not 30,000 miles/third oil change.
Excellent response. Thank you for taking the time. This makes perfect sense, and meets my expectations.

I will have this conversation with my SA during the break-in service in a couple of days. He is a great guy, and have known each other for over 10 years. For once, I think I have a chance of winning this argument with him. This is my 4th M car, and we always have this convo during the break-in service.

In the good old days, BMW even replaced the oil of the manual transmission cars during break-in. Those days are gone now.

I usually flip the cars every 3 years, so is not a big deal, but it never made any sense to me the way it has been handled in the past.
Appreciate 0