View Single Post
      07-04-2023, 03:07 PM   #141
epr73
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: ActiveHybrid7

Quote:
Originally Posted by walketed View Post
You realize that iDrive 9 is based on Android right? 95% of mobile phones in the world use Android. Apple BTW is based on Unix OS, it's just a template on top of the OS.

Do you use Apple maps? Apple search? Apple is a marketing company, really good, but far from being a top notch technology company.

I think BMW after not supporting Android initially, they saw their mistake and turned that decision around. Now they are basing the whole iDrive platform on Android OS!
Apple maps has actually gotten pretty nice. Also I have yet to come across any other ecosystem that does continuity as well as apple. All my apple devices do such amazing things together that I want that continuity experience to flow into my car.

I really dont care about the OS because I am curating and perfecting the content on my phone and I dont want to have another tablet device that I need to resign into everything to have things function.

Also I have a cheap $200 wireless carplay box from aliexpress I bought 4 years ago in my 15 Audi A8 tdi and I am so surprised how incredibly reliable its been. As soon as I turn on the car, 95% of the time, it doesnt fail to auto connect and brings my entire phone and nav up. Its made the car feel modern again. I really dont understand how any 2024 car doesnt have reliable carplay connections. Ive recently rented a 2023 330xi and 2023 audi a6 and both of their wireless carplay functions were garbage (audis more than bmws) Seems like oems are making their infotainments too complicated for their own good.

hopefully idrive 9 solves these issues, but really I just want better phone integration.
Appreciate 0