View Single Post
      03-25-2023, 02:19 PM   #137
sfi4
Rep
Drives: i4 M50 (ordered), Polestar 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaSPUR View Post
No, ID9 is the future with BMW having already talked about the commitment to Android moving forward.

If anything, X1 is getting it first so BMW can use lower end buyers as guinea pigs before potentially angering all of their buyers.
Honestly I think it'll be a while before we're missing much. My understanding from all of this is that, at least initially, the UX will be nearly identical between the two, but with different underpinning operating systems.

Having used Android Automotive OS in our Polestar, honestly it's kind of a dog right now. It's great to have Google Maps and a real voice assistant, but it's not clear whether or when BMW is going to take advantage of these (and its assistant is not bad, if not yet incredible). Other than that, I've found it to be pretty buggy and with nowhere near the functionality of iDrive 8. Sometimes it freezes or crashes entirely, and I've had cases where it's taken out even basic functions that have been run through AAOS, like turn signal sounds. The app store may as well not be there — don't expect Android Auto levels of participation from developers for the moment.

There's lots that AAOS can theoretically offload from BMW and handle on its own, but I'm not sure you really want it to yet. By the time a lease ends... maybe.
Appreciate 0