04-15-2021, 10:32 AM   #63
Jproos
Facts matter
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i (2014), M3 (2021)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02M3ForMe View Post
You were in a thread a couple of days ago talking about how the G8x’s power delivery isn’t interesting because the torque curve “does nothing” (stays flat) from 3500-6000RPM. Reminder that constant torque as RPMs rise means a linear and predictable increase in power as you go to redline.

Metrics for accelerating from 80km/h in 4th is of limited value in a car that does nearly 120km/h in 2nd. Yes, we know the S55 has noticeably more torque than the S58 below 3000RPM; that’s part of the problem when it comes to maintaining good behavior launching off the line. Yes, the S58 will penalize you more for being out of gear since it makes its power higher up, just like an NA car. Those numbers are completely irrelevant to whether the car “pushes you back in the seat” during an actual acceleration run where the RPMs are always above 3000. In those situations, the numbers flip the other way in favor of the G8x.

If you’re coming out of an S55 car and expect to be able to lazily punch it from 2000RPM and get the car moving semi-optimally, you will be disappointed. Sometimes I miss that character of my old F8x cars, but going to redline in the G8x is way more rewarding and exciting than doing the same in my old M4s, M3 CS, and M2Cs.
That reference to a flat torque curve being bad is, I think, the first time I've ever heard a flat torque curve being described as anything negative. Typically, I've always heard of it as a good thing. I'm not sure why he'd characterize it that way.
Appreciate 2
KoenG1428.50
02M3ForMe4261.50