View Single Post
      04-14-2021, 09:54 AM   #48
02M3ForMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIERsr View Post
That's true, I had meant if you felt the push you in the back at 30km/h actually, perhaps we have interpreted the question differently.
From 6000 to the rev limit there is a nice kick, but after the upshift you're again in the "flat zone" because of the long gear ratios.
Gotcha. I think this kind of powerband makes sense for the 6MT since the goal is to have fun managing the power with the gears.

I still don't quite understand the "flat zone" you're talking about from 3000-6000; yes, the torque curve is exceptionally flat, and that means power (what you actually feel and what actually delivers the performance) is increasing almost perfectly linearly through this range. This behavior is typically reserved for well-engineered NA cars and is generally considered ideal, especially for motorsport use cases. The only "spike" in the G8x powerband is when you hit that long, wide torque "plateau" at 3000RPM.

To me, an actual "flat zone" is a range where HP (power) is constant as revs rise due to falling torque, like you generally experience going to redline with older turbo engines (which, to some extent, includes the S55). In this "flat zone", there's a sensation that there's little reward for continually revving out and you feel like short-shifting. There is no part of the G8x's power delivery that feels like this. Going all the way to 7200RPM feels fantastic.

My guess is you like the additional excitement of a torque curve that rises with revs, which is actually suboptimal if you were to compare two cars with similar peak torque numbers since your peaky car will have less area under its power curve, and thus less overall performance. It's also a deceptive feeling, as you're feeling a "torqueless wonder" become competent as the revs rise, while an engine like the S58 reaches competency much earlier and stays there the whole time.
Appreciate 2
opielm88.00