View Single Post
      12-16-2020, 10:04 AM   #51
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveohwblow View Post
My god I would kill for any of that, but I’m sure my wife would kill ME for paying the prices they deserve. Why not just keep them as historical conversation pieces?
I deal with this anytime someone is interested in buying a bottle. They fail to realize the value in a bottle of whiskey from 1904 that is unopened and signed by a master distiller that has passed. Hell the Sinatra Select is $450/bottle over the counter to the general public, the signature adds value not to mention the leather case, booklet and wall art that comes with it. I have bottles valued at thousands. The barrel in my kitchen is one of only two like it. The other barrels that were used in the inaugural distilling of Holiday Select and the barrel tree were not signed by the distillers. I have one and my sister has the other. Frank Bobo was brought out of retirement to oversee the new Master Distiller Jeff Arnett (who resigned from his position in September of this year - which means dollar signs to me) who replaced Jimmy Bedford after he passed in 2008, to craft Holiday Select.

I used to give signed bottles to friends and colleagues for Christmas gifts back before dad and Jimmy had both passed away. Some of those gifts are worth a chunk these days.

As for keeping them for historical significance, not to sound like an ingrate, but it's just not something that I'm in to collecting or staying on top of. It was dads thing and I have all the significant "Dad Relics" that mean something to me. The bottles just don't have any value or meaning to me, but with what I have and what they are worth, they are simply collecting dust at my house. A collector would truly appreciate them as to where I just don't. Just money laying on the table in my eyes. I'd rather have the money in the bank than the bottles collecting dust in a closet.

I did sell my tokens the week of Thanksgiving. During prohibition, a person couldn't buy a shot of whiskey at the distillery, but you could by a token to be used anywhere at the distillery, even for a shot since you are not trading actual money. I had several of these that I sold to a collector from MI.

Last edited by King Rudi; 12-16-2020 at 10:10 AM..
Appreciate 1