CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKX4///M View Post
I'm no engineer, but learned as much about the science of tuning as I could when I was younger and have always been into physics and chem and spent a few years 15 years ago building some pretty wild cars...

I mean it seems like common sense, maybe I'm wrong but wouldn't you really need equal back pressure for bank 1 and bank 2, as cam phasing for peak HP would vary slightly on back pressure? And as far as I know VANOS doesn't allow different phasing or varied lift/duration for each individual cylinder?

Maybe they engineered it to be as close to equal as possible and use other means, bends, pipe size variations to keep exhaust velocity and resistance as close to equal as possible?

Or is the difference in back pressure not big enough to cause a difference in appropriate cam timing/lift/duration for bank 1 and 2?
Tuned exhaust length manifolds are critical for efficient scavenging on NA engines. This is not the case on turbocharged engines, first because since the intake is pressurized, there’s no need for exhaust scavenging, second, the turbine of the turbo in the exhaust stream disrupts the pressure waves that would be used for scavenging. So short answer, there’s no performance benefit to equal length exhausts on a turbo engine.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0