04-01-2024, 10:40 AM   #74
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUNSOK View Post
Sorry to hijack the thread but what tires are u running when you are starting with cold 26psi to reach 34-35 hot. ?? Thx
I've run various. Nitto NT01, Yoko 052, Toyo R888, slicks of various denominations. I run the advanced or instructor groups, the pace is fairly high and these are fast/heavy cars, tires do heat up quickly. The OP's car is very fast, so if he is a decent hand behind the wheel...

I think I'd still recommend a difference of 6PSI to begin with even in the Intermediate group. See where that takes you, and adjust accordingly. Since it isn't a race, if something feels off, you can pull into the hot pits and adjust mid-session if needed.

You need to experiment and understand how precise the onboard TPMS is, if you are using it for monitoring (I use it but mine typically shows about 0.5-1PSI low on the track setup).

Naturally you need to know what hot pressures to aim for, and that is tire-dependent (follow the tire manufacturer recommendations).

Many tires start to get greasy once they go past the recommended hot pressures and/or temps. Once the pressure/temp shoots up past the recommended values, it is very hard to bring back down while lapping. Managing that aspect basically lets you either enjoy the full 30 min session, or just a peak of 2-3 laps.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 1
RUNSOK243.00