View Single Post
      08-31-2023, 12:47 PM   #42
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post

That's perfect, then she should be able to give you some industry-supported data to show why the study isn't valid or any other reality is true.

What's to say we haven't had conversations about this that I can't share specifics to but if you read between the lines, you'll see that I'm not talking out my wazoo? You want to hang your hat on this study, by all means go ahead. Her company is on the Top Tier list so it's not like I'm trying to discredit it for any reason. Solely to tell people to not blindly accept "research" without asking a few questions. Kind of reminds me of the quote from Tommy Boy: "Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time."

Just because it was a study, doesn't mean you should blindly accept it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
The study isn't flawed, you just don't accept the sample size. If you want, you can go run your own study that has a larger, more acceptable-to-you sample size.
The sample size IS what makes the study flawed. It's simply not robust enough to stand up to scrutiny. Consider:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...research-study

"3. How many people were there in the study (N)?"

and

"5. Who conducted the research, and who is paying for it?"

In this case the "who conducted" is AAA, who I trust. But who is paying for it? Top Tier is. They aren't even shy about it. Says right on their website. They even call their participating companies "sponsors". You PAY to be in this group and to fly the logo. If you don't think that doesn't fit an agenda, well,

So do I think this is complete made up BS? No. Not at all. I recognize that this is something companies do to sell product and I hold no ill will. I've worked for public companies, as does my wife and I don't think "BIG" anything is real. You will find no tin hats in my closet. But do I think it's mostly marketing driven, and do I think you're likely to get similar results without having to look for "Top Tier" branding? Yup.

I'll leave it with a quote from my favorite movie of all time:

"Bob Woodward: Hunt's come in from the cold. Supposedly he's got a lawyer with $25,000 in a brown paper bag.

Deep Throat: Follow the money.

Bob Woodward: What do you mean? Where?

Deep Throat: Oh, I can't tell you that.

Bob Woodward: But you could tell me that.

Deep Throat: No, I have to do this my way. You tell me what you know, and I'll confirm. I'll keep you in the right direction if I can, but that's all. Just... follow the money.
Appreciate 0