View Single Post
      07-08-2018, 11:10 AM   #1
edub92
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M235i 6MT

Viability and limitations of an M235i Track Build

Hey 2addicts,

My name is Eric. I have owned my 2014 M235i 6MT for a little over a year and I love this car. I currently use this car as my daily (and occassional auto-x/track toy) and I have a 2003 Honda S2000 that I use as my weekend car/track build.

Now my question is pretty simple so I'll ask it and then explain why I am asking the question...

Do you think an M235i can be track-prepped/built to reliably beat and compete with cars of the 991 GT3 caliber?

I am asking this question because:
  • I want to know if my M235i will be my next track build (or should it be another car)
  • I want to know if this car (chassis, etc) can comfortably handle 500-550HP
  • I want to know if the N55 platform should be able to handle be able to handle 500-550HP while still being reliable... not looking for monster numbers
  • IF the m235i can handle my requirements then i dont mind investing in some of the parts now that i plan to use for my track build later... (CAE shifter, MP exhaust and diffuser, etc)

To give you some more context a 991 GT3 is ~3100lbs, 500hp, 340lb-ft. I would like to tune the M235i to have power numbers that are slightly higher than those. I would also be stripping out most interior+unnecessary weight (dash, speakers, heater, AC, sound deadening etc) and adding a full roll cage. id also like to go w/ a fuel cell and dry sump and possibly the m235i widebody or even the manhart widebody kit in order to fit a meaty/square setup.

I know that there is the M235iR platform and that is why I am very hopeful that my M235i will be a solid choice for my next track build. It seems that the N55 engine in the M235iR can reliably run in 24hr endurance races at stock power! I just need to be able to run sessions that are <=1hr at ~1.5x stock power.

I have also seen that AC Schnitzer has their ACL2 w/ an S55 making 560hp and making amazing times... this gives me hope that the chassis should be more than cable of handling the numbers I am looking for?

my track prepped s2000 can outperform cars 3x its price point, my goal would be to make my track prepped m235i outperform cars 5-6x its price point. you could call this hypothetical car an m235i GTS!

Thanks for your time!