View Single Post
      06-19-2022, 10:14 PM   #19
BMWRacer523
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren720s View Post

beachBmmr my instructor recommended me I get an E30 M3 full track spec (non-street legal). He said they cost around 18k and come fully gutted, racing suspension, on slicks etc. with about 170hp and weighs around 2500 lbs. He races in PRO3 class with it here at Pacific Raceways. He says he pulls 2g in the corners. Have you thought about getting something like that? You'd have to trailer it to the track but it's the best way to learn to go fast for a more reasonable price and maintenance with less worry.
He probably means an e30 (non M3) which is what PRO3 is. E30 M3 for $18k would be a dream (still regret selling mine). I would definitely agree that after some point (intermediate to advanced), a track focused car that is lighter (cheaper on consumables), lower power/grip (learn to drive momentum) and cheaper if you total it is the way to go. You can only compromise with a street/track combo for so long.

This is the path I went with an e30 and then into spec e30 racing before I raced higher powered e46/e92 m3s with aero. As you mention, the downside is trailer (and a truck to tow it with). It's another slippery slope. I went with pulling an open trailer with an X5 to F350 dually + 28" enclosed trailer. After a while towing that around the country became a PITA too not to mention storing it.
Appreciate 2
PLF693770.00