Rep
Drives: BMW G80 M3 Comp XDrive

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank70 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by zambarossa View Post
it is pure luck IMO. I once had 2 cracks in one trip. In some cases I thought the rock was a bullet but nothing more than cosmetic damage. All on BMWs. I believe where it hits and angle of impact also matter, the edges seem to be more susceptible.
You are right. The main factor is where the windshield gets hit. Around the edges the stresses in the windshield are high. If it gets hit in that area it cracks very easily.

I think also things like temperatures and mainly temperature differences between inside the car and outside have some effect. If for instance you drive in hot summer with the airconditioning on max, or in cold winter with the heating on max this adds to the stresses on the windshield, and thus it will crack more easily.

I do not think there is something like a M light windshield.
There is a option 'Acoustic glass' though on the M3/4 (in Europe anyway, not sure about US cars), but these are only the side windows. I assume cars with this option will have thicker side windows. I have it on my car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank70 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by zambarossa View Post
it is pure luck IMO. I once had 2 cracks in one trip. In some cases I thought the rock was a bullet but nothing more than cosmetic damage. All on BMWs. I believe where it hits and angle of impact also matter, the edges seem to be more susceptible.
You are right. The main factor is where the windshield gets hit. Around the edges the stresses in the windshield are high. If it gets hit in that area it cracks very easily.

There is a option 'Acoustic glass' though on the M3/4 (in Europe anyway, not sure about US cars), but these are only the side windows. I assume cars with this option will have thicker side windows. I have it on my car.
Yeah good point, it's more like double glazing and according to BMW the acoustic glazing is standard on the windshields.

"The acoustic glazing on the front side windows complements the standard acoustic glazing on the front windscreen and significantly reduces the level of noise for everyone inside the vehicle. It minimises noise created by the outside surroundings and flow of air, as well as by the engine, tyres and windscreen wipers. Music listeners and hands-free device users in particular will appreciate the difference this makes."