View Single Post
      05-22-2023, 08:39 PM   #10
MichaelB1969
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 Base SSG/Fiona

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofbmwe46 View Post
I’m enjoying my 2023 MT G80. I do wonder sometimes what it would be like to have the auto tho with laser sharp shifts via slapping paddles. But the manual is nostalgic and I love know I’m driving one and there are so few left on the road.
I personally wouldn't quite say they are laser sharp. The upshifts are quick enough, although certainly nothing close to how a PDK feels. The downshifts are nowhere near what I would describe as laser sharp, as there is a noticeable delay. Small one, but again, noticeable enough to lose that very "direct" and "instant" connection between what your hands are telling the transmission to do, and when it is doing it.

Now, I drove the autos on the track at M School and found them to be exceptional transmissions. They shift faster than I ever could in a manual car. And they are also very smooth when not driving all out on the track.

So nothing I am saying is to suggest that they aren't absolutely fantastic transmissions. Rather, I don't think they are laser sharp after having owned a number of cars with excellent dual-clutch transmissions including PDKs (Porsche) and DSGs (Audi).
Appreciate 3
MT6722.00
JTO245276.00