Thread: Chris Harris M3
View Single Post
      05-09-2021, 09:58 PM   #6
bm323
Captain
Rep
Drives: 12.2 E92 M3 ZCP; 12.7 C63

Chris Harris: "... And it means that unless the chassis is being allowed to demonstrate why it is pure M car, the powertrain makes you feel like you’re driving a very fast M440i and struggles to rise to the occasion. Of the two, it’s the gearbox that is the biggest offender. And so this is the point at which I have to succumb to the pressures of being one of the rose tinters and say that for all its performance advantage over the old car, something really has been lost with this new one.

On a track, as always for an M car, the whole package comes alive and places quite a distance between it and a 440i – and for that matter any other car in this class. It is relentlessly fast, the grip is both very impressive and very consistent. And the thing that BMW M still does that little bit better than the rest is the ability to carve a straight line and then at the next corner erupt in clouds of vapourised tyre. ...

But the reality is this – the new M3 is a more capable car than the one it replaces, but it’s not as exciting and to my eyes looks nothing like as good. But, there is an estate and, let’s face it, it will still be a great thing to drive every day."

------

Road and Track: "The BMW M3 and M4 Are Absurdly Quick and Capable, But Not Quite Fun...

It’s easy to drive fast. And it is extremely fast,” says Okulski. “But I’m not sure it’s fun. It feels like too big of a car to really be agile and playful."

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1823555

-----

Anyone sees the similarity? It's fast but not quite engaging, unfortunately.

edit: G8X fans and buyers are silent cos it's Chris Harris' review here.

Last edited by bm323; 05-09-2021 at 10:34 PM..
Appreciate 0