05-28-2020, 11:27 AM   #55
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhjeep View Post
Here is my biggest concern. I am sure dynamically, the car will be better than the F8x platform.
I wouldn’t be that sure.

The F80 was BMW’s first attempt to make a true track worthy car, without any special limited editions necessary. It is a bit lighter than the E90, they fixed the cooling, reduced the understeer, allowed wider tire packages to fit, eliminated rubber bushings in the rear frame attachment, standard CF roof and other CF parts, etc.

The only miss-steps IMO are front seats without harness pass-through and perhaps the lack of sufficient camber up front. The last one is easily remedied via aftermarket.

So anyway, the new one will have the seats fixed, that’s great. But it will be again (unnecessarily so) bigger, and I can almost guarantee it will be heavier, even when comparing RWD models. The new engine is improved in some respects compared to the S55, perhaps more reliable (crank hub) but with many of the traditional accessories moved at the back, may prove to be more difficult to maintain over time. There are also some disturbing reports that the S58 has more lag down low than the S55, who knows.

I’m sure the AWD models will be quicker than the F8x cars, but better? That remains to be seen, and IMO it isn’t a slam dunk.

This is coming from a guy with 4 BMW’s in the driveway, 12 BMW’s owned so far, serial M owner, 6 Euro Deliveries done. I love the brand, I love the value proposition for a dual purpose DD-track car (say compared to Porsche), but so far and very much unlike the past there just isn’t anything in the new model screaming “Buy Me Now”.

I’m not even touching the looks category, I understand it is very personal.

Maybe an M2CS if they are reasonable in price, or next gen M2CS. No real fire to trade my car in the next few months...

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 4