View Single Post
      09-07-2021, 09:43 PM   #19
razman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by naywa01 View Post
They are 'adaptive', not "adjustable" or "adaptable". In the pre-LCI F8x with Xenons (or any other BMW of that period for that matter) adaptive meant they physically moved in relation to steering input. This is what my F82 has, along with High Beam Assistant, but I think possibly this was an option on early cars.

With post-LCI F8x LED/'Icon' lights, like many other LED systems, they do NOT physically move and instead are able to adjust the beam pattern by either switching off sections or using shutters (I'm not 100% sure if BMW used shutters).

The newer LEDs in G2x/G8x will use adaptive LED where it will blank/switch-off part of the beams. Generally speaking the latest LED systems will have a much higher LED density, especially on their 'option' lights, which some manufacturers refer to as 'pixel lighting' (a bit like the backlight array on higher end LCD/LED TVs, OLED is different as its 'self-lit').

In the 'Laserlight', again like competitors systems, they use a mix of 'regular' LED and a reflected LASER source (still actually generated by high output LED, I put LASER in caps as it is actually an acronym too!). Although as far I'm aware all of the LED sources are reflected anyway - in other words you're never seeing the direct output of any of the LEDs.

The beam is selectively adjusted/dimmed as needed to provide that 'adaptive' capability, which is why *apparently* you don't need to switch between low/high beam, as they automatically adjust for oncoming traffic to avoid dazzling (with the 'High Beam Assistant'). I think the High Beam part is the main difference between the 'regular' and 'adapative' LED headlights, I believe the base light on the M3/M4 is adaptive anyway (at least here in the UK), but I'm happy to be corrected.

With regards to the OPs original question, I've also queried whether the Laserlights are worth it, but I think I'd want them (rather than need them) anyway!
Thanks very helpful.
Appreciate 0