naywa01
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 DCT Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by N1rve View Post
Yes, I agree with this. The G8X seems seems to be like a step backwards compared to the F8X generation. It seems like they were really heavily focused on cutting cost on this generation...switching to a ZF Auto, stripped out CF drive shaft, stripped out CF Strut Brace, etc.

The 0-60 time is roughly the same even with more power....which is something I find really odd. Compensate extra weight with extra power?

IMO, I feel more engineering and effort was put into the F8X than the G8X.

There was like huge improvements from E9X -> F8X like Twin Turbo, 7 heat exchangers, a better DCT, rear mounted subframe bolted to the car, Single Piston to multi-piston brakes, magnesium oil pan (for like the 1st year), carbon fiber drive shaft, carbon fiber strut brace, a huge jump in 0-60 time from like 4.4 seconds to 3.8/3.9 with DCT Comp/DCT Non-ZCP. Peak Torque was available at a even lower RPM..1900ish to now 2,650/2,750. It's also the lightest M car in recent generations, and then it got heavier..an extra 500+ pounds!!!! The redline also dropped again from like 7600 to 7200.

The only thing that it has going for it is are probably these things:

1) Better Handling (maybe, they said they focused on steering and handling)

2) Nicer and updated Interior

3) Nicer Exhaust tone with burbles

4) With AWD it will be faster...ish?

5) More compliant ride

6) Become less racecar, more mall crawler with those luxury features like Adaptive Cruise control, etc.

But besides all of this, I still can't wait to watch the reviews and hear what reviewers have to say, but I feel that they will voice the same opinion as me that they focused on cost cutting and less engineering into this car.
Too true, despite all this I still can't wait to see one, see/read the full reviews and drive one!
Appreciate 0