View Single Post
      10-29-2020, 08:22 AM   #1197
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
In New York State, we are not legally compelled to inform law enforcement that we are carrying CCW unless specifically asked. There is a surprisingly large sentiment among CCW holders that they should not volunteer this information. My thought is to always hand over my CCW with my driver's license, even if I'm not carrying at the time. The vetting process to get an unrestricted CCW in New York State is insane, and merely having the card is a pretty good indicator that the holder is not a huge threat to the officer.

If I were writing the police license/warrant search computer system, you can bet that I would have it pop up in big, red, flashing letters that a person had a CCW per the state's database. Don't know if their real-life system does this, but it seems like only bad things can happen if an officer finds out from the computer and not during their initial contact. Plus, if you don't inform, they ask you to get out of the car, and discover your CCW, you will probably wind up at the business end of about six officer's service weapons within 30 seconds of a call for backup.

The way that I see it, nothing good can come from not voluntarily informing the officer of your CCW.....