View Single Post
      06-28-2022, 01:42 PM   #8
brad850csi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 16 F13 M6 Comp

I'm surprised that nobody has looked at the real cause of this - a bunch of EU bureaucrats making up BS rules that will only hurt the wider public have made (amazing) companies like Alpina simply too complex to actually operate.

As for their past-current period, I was always in total awe at the Alpinas in the 80s and 90s with vehicles like the B10 Bi-turbo, B12 6.0 and so on - their engines were unique and the cars were quite different to what BMW provided.

However after the E60 B5 the Alpina cars became a lot closer to the BMW cars and the expansion of the M-lite lineup has meant that Alpina's aren't as special as they once were in my opinion.

I think that in the future we'll see M-Sport or M-Lite as the top trims in regards to 'sports' (before real M cars) and we'll see Alpina as the top trim in regards to a luxury/sports mix.

However I'll also float an idea here - what if mainstream BMW cars just about all become electric and that under special approval, low numbers, whatever that Alpina can still continue to provide inline 6 and V8 engines well after the main BMW brand can't. Now that would be special.

And as for classics, yeah I'd upgrade my 850CSi to a B12 5.7 quite happily, I wonder if they might open up the ability for anyone with an E30, E34, E60 etc to bring their car into Buchloe and get a new one made?