06-28-2022, 01:10 PM   #6
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye4speed2 View Post
Thanks for the article. I don't recall seeing who gave the interview from Alpina. Was it a family member or PR person?
Given the choice of words in the article, a PR person from Alpina answered their questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjak92 View Post
So Alpina will effectively become a trim like (like an M Sport, Luxury or SE) for select BMW models from 2026 onwards.

Shame….
I reckon BMW is going to use the ALPINA brand like Daimler has been doing so with their Maybach lineup the past few years.

Daimler will soon have three Maybach models - S, GLS, SL - including the 'Mythos' cars so BMW needs to get on in, too, and the M division doesn't have the "aura" they're looking for, probably.

On surface, spin it off into a sub-brand to make people think it's something more bespoke than it actually is underneath. Luxury/sport brand spin-offs have been popular for some time in Europe already and so have BMW Individual/Benz designo/Audi exclusive offerings driving up their margins per car. It was even said in the article that their focus is on the upper lux segment (i.e., 5 Series & up) which is where the biggest margins are.