Dinan_Engineering
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Any BMW

Lots of catching up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by placebo0311 View Post
Is there an upgrade path if you want to eventually get a flash tune? I'd hate to drop money on a piggyback and then pay another full price for a flash tune. I think I've seen one or two others have an upgrade option if and when a flash option comes out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by forcefed View Post
Wouldn't you just resell it?
There is not. We offered an upgrade/trade in path with the warrantied versions in the past but it was cumbersome. With the unwarranted / low cost DINANTRONICS X it just didnt make much sense to do something similar. Anything offered in terms of a trade in/credit given the retail pricing would be such a small number it would be insulting and the user could get more easily just reselling it on the secondary market.

Now if it was a a thousand dollar product or more, like some of the other options out there, then it would have been more practical to offer such a program to offset the sting of the much higher initial buy in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbadillo View Post
Seems like they do. But only for full fledge tune products. Not the piggy back tunes. Which kind of makes sense. It’s not cost effective to warranty your entire car for a low cost given that some engines just might break regardless if it’s tuned or not.
We still offer the factory matching warranty. Just not on the inline tuners like the DINANTRONICS X and SPORT. The purpose of both is to offer a cost effective tuning option and a palatable price point. Adding in a factory matching warranty would balloon the cost (lets just say 2x or more) driving it very much outside of that goal. There are other options on the market for those that want a warranties piggyback and are willing to pay the premium.

For Dinan, as of ~2 years ago the factory matching warranty as it applies to engine tuning is a feature of the Dinan+ flash tunes only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitchinManWheels View Post
Is this piggyback similar to the F8X in that it "tricks" the computer to give more boost? AND bypasses some of the car's engine safety features??

I've been a big fan of DINAN; was one of the first to get Stage 1, 2, then 3 for my F82. Switched to the flash after talking with a DINAN rep at an event. I learned quite a bit about piggybacks sooooo I'd wait for the flash…
It's a piggyback (or inline tuner as the greater organization refers to them as) but it does not bypass any engine safety features. It plays in the "acceptable tolerances windows".

Inline tuners are not for everyone though so its totally your decision what you feel most comfortable with. A flash tune is always going to be the preferred solution as you have more control which, when done right, means it can offer additional safety preotections and power. However not everyone may be comfortable with flashing (for any number of reasons) either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soylent View Post
There's the Femto unlock. Are you waiting for a US company to unlock?
Sending ECU's overseas is not an option in our opinion. We continue to work on defeating the encryption internally but if something comes stateside (and ideally doesnt require DME's to be shipped anywhere) it would be foolish not to at least look at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSM View Post
Is this a rebadged racechip? Looks identical
So its on multiple pages of the thread...

"Don't think we make any great effort to hide where the physical hardware components comes from. From a cost perspective it simply makes more sense then continuing to go down the path of our own internally developed version of hardware (DINANTRONICS Elite). Lots of great things they were capable of but frankly they were just incredibly expensive to produce which hampered them in many ways.

As far as X goes though -- the hardware may be the same/similar to other entities but the software/calibration/tune is unique to Dinan. Ultimately its another option in the marketplace at a price point we think makes it a valid option for consideration."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM4 View Post
Nice to see another product released!

Can you post what the new boost targets versus stock for both base and comp? Do you still have Dinan shops affiliated with BMW dealers in Canada? (I'm near Oakville Ontario and Budds BMW)

Andy ETA on Flash tuning?

Thanks!
Generally speaking the top map is ~+3PSI over stock. Applies to both the base and comp version. Varies a small bit from engine to engine but for the most part everything released on the DPT X lineup thus far is right around there. So that means each map is ~.4 PSI increments. Prety much without fail once that ~+3 PSI mark is eclipsed you start to get into some engine events (pre-knock) when logging that would need to be compensated with better fuel (race gas, etc.) or other outside variables to address to remain what Dinan would consider acceptable and "safe." The purpose of X is for simple PnP / safe solution without the need to constantly tweak so we limited it at that level.

Budds' is still a Dinan dealer. Would want to talk to Stephen in parts if interested.

No ETA on S58 flash tuning unless you have an 20MY X3M then the S58 tune is available for it. Encryption continues to be worked on but a breakthrough could occur tomorrow or a months from now. That's really anyones guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickmanBMW View Post
I’m curious to why the base model would produce less power than the Comp with this mod. Aren’t they essentially the same exact motor? Or is it due to the 6MT not being able to handle as much power?
Going off a clouded memory here but I am pretty sure there are additional/lower torque limits on the non-comp which restrict some of the power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWnation View Post
What are the gains with downpipes and intake? Does the tune take advantage of these mods? Or, is there a specific map for these mods?
Don't test or tune specifically for DP's or anything that is not legal (emissions included) so I couldnt not say what the gains may be there. I doubt it would be super substantial, if anything, however. An intake on the S58 is not going to cause a need for a specific mapping either. There is some flexibility with the existing maps so you could tweak the power a bit depending on if some added hard parts give you some additional overhead. They are meant for the varying octane levels / fuel quality but would work the same in the case of any bolt ons that may give a slight advantage.

Now that I am caught up you guys can go back to the thread jack if you desire. Apologies for interrupting our own thread. =)
Appreciate 4
ibmc127.00
m4ml1834.00
DoubleDave1176.50
ChrisM41627.50