11-23-2020, 02:04 PM   #43
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiebones View Post
People are lumping the marketing in with the engineering, like the people who comprise the two teams have ever even congregated in the same room.

People are upset about the grilles and weight gain and are attacking anything and everything they can about the brand. Just my opinion. In any event, we are all talking about it.
absolutely this

I posted this observation in another thread so i will fill the short version, separate from whatever the design direction the brand has moved towards, it is clear the marketing group is living an agency's fantasy of being unchecked by the client. This is an extreme campaign that looks like it was not diluted from the pitch deck. BMW leadership said we need to target younger feel (but probably not actually young, think things affluent ppl buy to make themselves feel young) and "hipper" but still premium affluence and the agency ran with it over the top

The simplest explanation is they wanted to go after the same jr-mid lvl execs who used to wear grey suits or slacks/button down but now wear designer jeans and sneakers to the office. Instead of a balanced approach the agency went for the "hippest" and "trendiest" extremes
Appreciate 3
///M TOWN16077.00
ChrisM41614.00