View Single Post
      08-24-2020, 01:05 PM   #20
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
Figure 1K cars per year over four years and the math might work. Or look at is as a halo car like the RS6.

BTW I find the $55M in sales required a bit steep. They are building the car for Europe so it is just certification costs, there is no development. Drivetrains, body, etc all have to be built anyway. Merc has figured it out on the E63 despite them only selling a few hundred wagons per year. Audi has brought back the A6 Allroad and is bringing the RS6 in (only this version according to their management). I guess it depends on the margins, but I would expect they probably can certify it for less than $5M actual costs since a lot of the work will be completed as part of the M3 certification.
RoW G2x Touring isn't compatible with US FMVSS.

E-Class Estate - Main Battery under the hood

A6 Avant - Main Battery under the hood

G21/81 - Main battery in luggage compartment which is part of the occupant compartment. This where the issues begin.

The closest comparison program for a G81 FMVSS compliant variant would be the Range Rover SVA Coupé. Had that gone through, total development cost was approx $115m, $90M of which would be covered by sales.
Appreciate 0