View Single Post
      09-18-2023, 02:04 PM   #74
bmwdrive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbb View Post
There are endless threads on dozens if not hundreds of car enthusiast sites comparing things to the Porsche. That's a sign that they're truly the benchmark. They're the best blend of performance, reliability, approachability, and utility that money can buy.

That said, somewhere over the last 10yrs or so, Porsche seems to have FULLY realized their potential in the open market. The 911 used to be the car that one could work hard and afford one day, and now we have the Cayman 4.0 going for $110K and the Carrera T going for $140K. Turbos and GT3s are in the $200s, and the truly special, limited edition types are going well beyond that. These are MSRPs, not dealer markups. Prices are gone, and I don't think they're coming back.

As much as I accept and agree that Porsche makes a better car than BMW, price is and always will be a factor. As mentioned before, I've owned 4 Porsches (2 911s, a Cayman and a Boxster) over the years, but I'm starting to squint really hard to see a reason to spend that kind of money when there are so many other options out there that bring most of the same fun for a lot less.
There is one more factor to consider with prices going up and up and up. Even if I go crazy and spend $150K or $200K on a car, I am going to be constantly worried about it. That's not much fun. If that kind of money is no big deal, then sure go for it.
Appreciate 1