View Single Post
      09-18-2023, 09:41 AM   #73
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinckley View Post
The biggest something is weight imo. Porsche understands to the core that no amount of horsepower can overcome the diminished handling characteristics of more weight. Are there faster cars than Porsche 911s? Sure, my M8 was a case in point. Are there better handling cars than Porsche 911s? Not many/any.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerfun82 View Post
Weight advantage
Rear bias
Traction
Ride height

The feeling of being pushed in a 911 is very unique. Always feels faster to me even if it’s not. My dads 993 felt like a rocket ship in second gear but it was 5 seconds to 60 and 13.6 in the 1/4.

And their mid engine setup has handling advantages, although I prefer oversteer to understeer
Both of these are true. I think one thing that's overlooked is the "Porsche Horsepower". Unlike BMW who has clearly underrated the S58's peak ratings, Porsche HP comes from a combination of weight plus the ability to deploy it. Being rear or mid-engined means less drivetrain loss, better weight bias for acceleration and I think Porsche's engine mapping is some of the best in the business, even on turbo engines. They clearly punch above their weight. Driven a 500 HP GT3 back to back with a 500 HP G80....results are predictable.
Appreciate 2
hinckley3492.50