Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02M3ForMe View Post
While I'm quite happy with my car, I think DD lacks sufficient respect for the existing customer base and classic BMW design in general. To hang a polarizing design on what is probably the best driving M3 ever is not fair to the fans (paying or otherwise), and I say that as someone who loves the look.
I get it, but there's the other side of the coin……..those who longed for significant deviation between models; individualized character. I remember back in the late 90's, early 2000's, BMW was lambasted for their "same sausage, different length" approach to design. As time passed, buyers wanted more and more individualization between models. Here we are today with a 4/i4/M3/M4 that polarizes. Some feel slighted while others welcome(d) the change; the uniqueness. We, as "enthusiast" forum dwellers, are a loud, vocal minority (..much like the vocal Instagram bunch). We always have been and we always will be.
Maybe it's a few outliers but I don't recall lambasting of late 90's / early 2000's BMW's. On the contrary, the BMW's of that time like the E46 and E39 were praised by the vast majority at that time and remain classic designs today.

Also, it's a false dichotomy to paint "same old" design vs. more "individualized" G22/G8x design, because the answer to deviate from the "same old" isn't to make something that looks ugly. Even some who don't dislike and bought-in, chose a dark color to hide the design. That tells something is not right and they could have chosen a different path away from "same old."

That said, I do agree that the persistent complaints of the new design are getting a bit overboard. However, as you say, us "enthusiast forum dwellers, are a loud, vocal" bunch, and when we see something we don't like, we will loudly and passionately express our opinions. From this view, it seems incongruent to leverage passionate enthusiasts to express their opinions, but then cancel them when they express an inconvenient opinion.
With all due respect, your memory is short. The E46 had its fair share of negative commentary. I came to BMW at the beginning of the E46 era, so I remember that timeframe vividly. I agree with much of what you said though.
Appreciate 1
02M3ForMe4261.50